Elastic Path Catalog Syndication provides the capability to share catalog data with external systems that require knowledge of the commerce catalog, including the following systems:
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Digital Experience Platforms (DXP)
- Recommendation and personalization engines
- User Generated Content (UGC)
- Fulfillment systems
With catalog syndication, external systems can:
- Request a full copy of the catalog
- Subscribe to syndication events to get real-time notifications of catalog changes
- Periodically check for catalog changes
- Rely on scheduled batch jobs to send a copy of the catalog
Catalog domain objects can be updated by business users, or Elastic Path tools, such as Import Export Tool, Data Population Tool, or Data Sync Tool. The following occurs when business users or Elastic Path tools update domain objects:
- Simplified representations of the domain objects, called projections, are built and saved to Elastic Path Commerce database. For more information about projections, see Catalog Syndication Projections.
- Catalog event messages are sent by Java Messaging Service (JMS), indicating the projections that were modified.
External systems can interact with catalog syndication in the following ways:
- Real time synchronization: Subscribe to catalog event messages and use Syndication API to retrieve changes.
- Polled synchronization: Periodically call Syndication API to retrieve changes.
- Batch synchronization: Depend on a scheduled job to deliver a copy of the catalog. For more information about the batch projection builder, see Batch Syndication Jobs.
Catalog Syndication Documentation